Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Cha-cha-cha chia

I'm trying chia seeds. I'll let you know how it goes. 

I found some at Vitamin World—although you get them at Walmart. But I would have to order them, and I have no patience. So I bought some today.

So far they're kind of crunchy. I put them in water and drank them. I do feel full. I tried to eat my Subway sandwich, but I filled up quickly.  I'll let you know how long this effect lasts. 

In case you haven't heard, chia seeds are supposed to be great for weight loss. Not only do they contain large amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, they can absorb 12 times their weight in water, forming a gelatin. 

According to Living Foods,  "If you try missing a spoonful of Chia in a glass of water and leaving it for approximately 30 minutes or so, when you return the glass will appear to contain not seeds or water, but an almost solid gelatin. This gel-forming reaction is due to the soluble fiber in the Chia. Research believe this same gel-forming phenomenon takes place in the stomach when food containing these gummy fibers, known as mucilages, are eaten. The gel that is formed in the stomach creates a physical barrier between carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down, thus slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.
           
"In addition to the obvious benefits for diabetics, this slowing in the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar offers the ability for creating endurance. Carbohydrates are the fuel for energy in our bodies. Prolonging their conversion into sugar stabilizes metabolic changes, diminishing the surges of highs and lows creating a longer duration in their fueling effects."

So I'm giving it a shot. If you try it, I'd love to know how it works for you. 

No comments: