Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Can grapefruit kill you?


Have you ever thought of grapefruit as dangerous? Yeah, well, me neither. But it turns out it can interact with some prescription drugs you may be taking and lead to some really harmful effects, including death. 

According to an article on nbcnews.com. "More than 85 drugs that interact with whole grapefruit, grapefruit concentrate or fresh grapefruit juice have been identified, though not all have serious consequences. Those that do, however, can cause problems that include acute kidney failure, respiratory failure, gastric bleeding—and worse."

“When I say sudden death, I’m not being sensational,” Dr. David Bailey said in the article. Bailey is a clinical pharmacologist at the Lawson Health Institute Research Center in London, Ontario, who said 13 drugs may be lethal when mixed with grapefruit.

Here's complete list of drugs that interact with grapefruit. 

1 comment:

Susan said...

I saw this headline, but didn't read it since I don't take meds. Perhaps I should take a second look. Thanks.