Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Excuses, Excuses

It's a beautiful fall day here in Morgantown, WV. And I just ate a bowl of potato soup from Eat 'N Park. Yes, I know how fattening it is. But it's fall.

And that begins my post about excuses. I'm full of them.

  • I'm old. 
  • My back hurts. 
  • I have thyroid disease. 
  • My knees hurt. 
  • I can't do it. 
  • I just look stupid. 
  • I can't stop eating.
  • And the list is endless.

I'm not sure how to break free of the pattern I've set. I do know that these are all just excuses. I read somewhere that you should start asking yourself why you're so good at things rather than asking yourself why your so bad at them. I'm trying to remember to do this. Maybe I need to set up some kind of reminder. I'll let you know if I figure out how to do that.

In the meantime, if you have anything that's worked for you, please let me know about it. I need all of the help I can get.

3 comments:

Chloe Salerno said...

Hi Kathy, I just saw you followed me from SITS and I didn't know until now. I'm sorry and I'm following you back. :)

Susan said...

At the risk of sounding like a wet blanket...what is just wrong with accepting yourself as you are...at least for a while? Size 16 is what I am. The size 14 slacks in the back of my closet are just a reminder of what I'm not. I'm moving them to the basement. I'm 59, I'm never going to be 25 again. Older is just what I am. Potato chips, sandwiches and sodas give me indigestion. I had to reluctantly remove them from my treat list. So what does that make me? I am a person that chooses not to eat foods that make me sick. (Sometimes I have to go brush my teeth to deal with my cravings, but it's still something I can control). My purpose in this comment is to remind you that currently you are an older person that has has back and knee issues. If you have thyroid disease, I assume it being monitored by your doctor, so you know what goes along with that. If you look stupid, I would suggest wearing your undergarments on the inside of your clothing when you go in public. So just for today, why not try to concentrate on what you are instead of what you are not. Good vs bad...that can wait until another session. Thank you, that will be $250.00 please, see the receptionist to schedule your next appointment.

kathyj333 said...

Susan, Thanks for the reminder. I sometimes wish I could just accept myself. I know that I will never be 25 again. But I could make being 54 a lot easier on myself.

I am working on asking myself "Why are you so good at taking care of yourself?' rather than running myself down.